Author Topic: Trips for Kids Volunteering  (Read 677 times)

HeatherB

Trips for Kids Volunteering
« on: September 22, 2013, 08:49:28 PM »
Hello, Divas.  As many of you know, the Divas routinely volunteer several times a year to help with the Trips for Kids rides, and have even donated bikes to them over the years.  This is a great group that is helping kids who might not ever have the opportunity, enjoy mountain biking.  We had a new group from Pinewood Elementary this weekend, and the teacher who joined us, sent the following message to Paula:

Paula, 

PLEASE pass this on to everyone who made today's ride possible. It was such a memorable one for me as well--these kids just had a blast! If only you could have heard the conversations on the ride HOME as well:

"I wish we spent the night! Then we could wake up in the morning, hop on our bikes, eat when we're tired, ride some more, eat when we're tired, then wake up and do it all over again!"

The conversation had shifted and they were talking about their potential fifth grade trip to Washington, D.C., which prompted me to ask them, "Where's the coolest place you've been?" and a couple mentioned the beach...then Nashon chimed in, "Where we were today!!!"

Thank you for the opportunities you are providing these kids outside of their normal lives--ones that probably wouldn't include riding through the woods. Thank you for the lessons in courage, determination, humility (did anyone catch J'kwon's "that was fun!" comment when he skidded and fell?!?), and teamwork. MOST importantly, thank you for the one-on-one relationships that showed them there are complete strangers in the community supporting them in whatever they want to achieve. That lesson and those feelings today will have a lasting impact!

We'd love to follow-up with more rides wherever and whenever possible, especially if I can get our P.E. teacher and/or a few other teachers involved. An after school ride around Sugar Creek would be fabulous, and I will look at our spring calendar. A Freedom School ride is a must!

I was so excited to get such wonderful feedback about this ride.  This is why we do what we do!  Thank you to all who helped this weekend and throughout the years.  I hope we can continue to get volunteers to participate in such worthy events. 

Heather